PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERS IN SAN DIEGO
When a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle or a truck, they can sustain catastrophic injuries that change the course of their life forever. Since your body is not protected from an impact with a vehicle, severe injuries can result even if the vehicle was moving at relatively slow speeds. Our law firm has helped numerous San Diego pedestrian accident victims in this situation.
You may be at greater likelihood of major injuries in the event that the vehicle’s driver is not paying attention or if he or she is moving at a relatively high rate of speed. These kinds of accidents warrant the insight of an experienced San Diego pedestrian accident lawyer.
San Diego is a busy city with many pedestrians, cyclists and cars so it is critical to have a personal injury lawyer working for your best interests as soon as possible after the accident happens. You should never underestimate the impact that a severe car accident can have. In many collisions involving cars or trucks and pedestrians, the person outside the vehicle will sustain more life threatening or critical injuries.
The impact of such an accident can have ramifications that can influence you for many years to come due to long recovery periods, extensive physical therapy, lost time at work, costly medical bills, and the emotional trauma of the accident as well. Many of the pedestrian accident victims we work with have grounds for filing a personal injury claim as a result of a driver’s negligence.
If you’ve been hit by a car or truck, you should not wait and you should immediately contact an experienced San Diego pedestrian accident attorney. If you or someone you love was struck by a car, you may have legal rights to file a lawsuit after consulting with an experienced attorney.
What Damages Can I Collect in My San Diego Pedestrian Accident Claim?
If you or someone you know has been injured or lost a loved by someone else’s negligent conduct, you are entitled to recover the following damages:
- Past and future medical specials
- Funeral Cost
- Loss of consortium
- Past and future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Common Causes of San Diego Pedestrian Accidents
There are many different situations that can prompt an accident. In many of these cases the accident will be caused by some form of negligence on behalf of the driver of the truck, bus, car or other vehicle type. The most common causes of pedestrian accidents in San Diego include:
- Bus and pedestrian accidents when an individual is exiting or entering the bus or waiting in a bus stop. When a bus driver does not pay attention he or she may strike the pedestrian.
- Being struck at a crosswalk. There are important traffic rules in San Diego and around California about yielding to pedestrians and using caution but if you have the right of way to cross the street and are struck by a car, you may be able to pursue a negligence claim.
- Distracted driving. When a driver is looking in another direction, texting or talking on the phone, both pedestrians and drivers are at risk. It only takes a couple of seconds for a driver to lose his attention from the road and put you at severe risk of an accident.
- Driving under the influence. Drunk driving and driving under the influence of drugs are serious crimes in California that can kill or severely injure a pedestrian.
- Being struck on a walkway or sidewalk. Anytime that a vehicle leaves their lane of traffic and enters onto a walkway or sidewalk, this is a strong indication of negligence on the part of the driver that may become critical in your personal injury claim.
Catastrophic Injuries Require Attentive and Experienced Attorneys
When a pedestrian gets hit by a car in San Diego, the outcomes can be severe or even deadly. If you walk away with only broken bones, you should consider yourself very lucky. Typically, pedestrians who are struck by a car will sustain major internal injuries like neck problems, spinal cord issues, and brain injuries.
Permanent brain damage and spinal cord damage can impact your speech, motor skills, cognitive abilities and even your personality for the rest of your life.
Given that you will need months or even years of medical treatment in order to recover from your injuries and that some people may never fully recover from the extent of their injuries, you need to consult with a dedicated San Diego pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. It goes without saying that when you have been hit in an accident like this, that you need to explore the full extent of your rights going forward.