DMV SR-1 Report of Traffic Accidents

Posted On September 7, 2017 by Cameron May

The SR-1 report, also known as the traffic accident report, is a report that must be filed with the DMV depending on the extent of the severity of a car accident. Filling out this report is required in some cases, but can also help your car accident case move forward more quickly. If you're not sure if you need to fill out an SR-1, read on below and consider talking to a car accident attorney for more assistance.

In the state of California, there are a few necessary steps to take after getting into a car accident.

One of those steps may be filing an SR-1 report with your local DMV.

Do I need to file an SR-1 report?

If your car accident resulted in at least $1,000 of property damage or the injury (regardless of how minor) or death of a person involved, you must report it to the DMV within 10 days of the accident. This report is required whether or not you were deemed at fault in the accident.

If you fail to submit this report to your local DMV within 10 days, it could result in the suspension of your license. This is an incredibly important report to make.

What do I need to file an SR-1 report?

In order to complete your report, you will need to include the date, time and location of the car accident, along with the name, driver's license number, vehicle information, and insurance information of all parties involved. You'll also need the name and address of the person(s) injured or killed and/or information about the property damaged. If the accident was on private property, this could be more than just vehicles (mailboxes, garages, etc).

The dispatched officer will provide you with a detailed police report that includes all of the necessary information needed to fill out this report, or you can enlist the help of a car accident attorney.

How do I file an SR-1 report?

You can find the report online on the California DMV website. You can print it off, fill out the information, and bring it to your local DMV, or you can submit it online if you are a certified customer. You can also find one at the office of a car accident attorney. At The May Firm, we are happy to assist our clients with filing SR-1 reports and other necessary paperwork.

Working with a car accident attorney to file paperwork pertaining to your accident case is a good idea to ensure you don't make any mistakes. It's our job to help you get back on your feet after an accident, so give us a call at 1-844-MAYFIRM if you need assistance with your SR-1 report or if you've recently been in a car accident.


Need Help?

We're with you every step of the way

Schedule Your Free Consultation

  • We'll Come To You

    Our attorney will travel to your home,or hospital at your convenience and request.

  • Call Anytime

    We're available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at 1.844.MAYFIRM

  • Free Consultation

    Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.

The May Firm is a California personal injury law firm dedicated to our valued clients. Aggressive accident injury attorneys! Free consultations 888.510.2933
Monday to Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
Rating:5 -
Review by
853 Atlantic Avenue, Suite #201
Long Beach
United States
Phone: (562) 800-0529 E-mail: